The secret to good health, anti-aging, fabulous skin/nails/hair and boosted immune system during cold and flu season is…
Beauty Bone Broth!
Homemade bone broth is PACKED with amino acids, nutrients, minerals, vitamins and.. my favourite, collagen!
Collagen is an important elastic substance in your body especially for firming up your skin and lubricating your joints. Increasing collagen intake helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, cellulite and wrinkles by plumping up your skin. Clinical studies have shown that after 12 weeks of increasing collagen, most people reported a noticeable improvement in their skin tone.
The body needs Vitamin C to be able to use collagen and form a matrix, that’s why I add Goji berries to my broth. Goji berries are also considered “blood builders” in Traditional Chinese Medicine and help boost energy and circulation (a great combo for the winter months).
I make my bone broth overnight and take it in a thermos to drink all day. I make a big enough batch that I can freeze the rest to drink it throughout the months.
The best part? So easy to make. 10 minutes of chopping. You do however need 8 hours to let it simmer so plan accordingly.
- 5 lbs raw bones (I prefer beef bones for a higher iron content)
- It’s best to buy organic, grass-fed beef bones
- 3 tbls apple cider vinegar
- 2 white onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 small handful of goji berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Oregano oil (or oregano 2 leaves)
- 1 tbls whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 full handful of parsley
- Roast the bones on a cooking pan for 30 minutes at 350.
- Place roasted bones in an extra-large pot or crockpot and pour over cool filtered water to almost fill pot. (I use 2 medium/large pots and divide all the ingredients)
- Add apple cider vinegar to the pots and let the soak for 30 minutes. This is an important step because the acidity helps leach out important nutrients from the bone.
- Rinse, peel and chop all the veggies. Add the veggies and goji berries to the pot (EXCEPT for garlic and parsley).
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, 1 drop of oregano oil, peppercorns and salt to the pot.
- Bring the broth to a vigorous boil.
- Bring the temperature down to simmer and let the broth sit with lid on for 8 hours. If you are using a crockpot (overnight way), keep it on low heat throughout the 8 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of simmer, add parsley and chopped garlic cloves.
- Strain the glittery gold broth. Pour some into a thermos, and the rest separate into glass jars (some for the fridge to eat within the week and some for the freezer to eat over a few months.)
- Look and feel amazing with your liquid gold!